In 2013 Mills & Boon relaunched their RIVA line with Modern Tempted (called Harlequin KISS in the States), an imprint that held echoes of the Temptation novels of the 80s and 90s, and the sexiness of the Modern Heat series from the 00s.
Whether as RIVA or as Modern Tempted, I adored the books and was incredibly upset when the line stopped publishing two years ago.
So this month I’m taking a look back at the authors of Modern Tempted, at the books they wrote then, and what they’re up to now…
Not all women are confident when it comes to dating and relationships, and Charlotte Phillips shows this perfectly in All Bets Are On:
Ask Alice Ford to shine in the boardroom and it’s a done deal. Ask her to go on a first date, however, and she’s a quivering mess! So, discovering that she’s the target of an office bet? To get her into bed? It’s her professional nightmare!
Office legend Harry Stephens is her unlikely saviour. He even volunteers to teach her just how to avoid a heartbreaker. After all, it takes one to know one… But what is Harry really after?
And when his kisses throw a curve ball into the situation, is Alice ready to gamble everything for love?
Alice is amazing at her job, but she gets terribly nervous and scared on first dates and when it comes to relationships. So when she discovers that she’s the target of an office bet, she’s absolutely gutted, but she decides to try and use the office lothario in order to boost her confidence.
I think what makes this really different, is that Harry is actually part of the bet to try and get Alice into bed, but I was delighted to see that Philllips makes him relatable despite this! We come to understand his history of relationships, and I love the fact that Alice brings out a different side to him.
Phillips’ other Modern Tempted books include:
- Secrets of the Rich & Famous (Jen’s trying to infiltrate the Chelsea elite for her next article, but when she meets film director Alex, will she find herself faking it less and less…?)
- The Proposal Plan (Gabriel’s not entirely certain how he’s managed to be roped into helping Lucy proposal to her boyfriend, but he definitely wishes that she was proposing to him!)
- Sleeping with the Soldier (Lara’s fed up of the guy living above her keeping her up all night with his nocturnal activities, but she can’t help but be attracted to him! Alex hasn’t had a full night’s sleep since he returned from active duty, but will he be able to hide this fact from Lara?)
- Man vs. Socialite (Take one bad-boy ex-soldier, mix with a socialite fashionista, and pop them in front of some television cameras…and watch the sparks fly!)
So what’s Charlotte been up to since the end of Modern Tempted?
She’s just finished the Do Not Disturb series, set in the Lavington hotel:
- Your Room or Mine? (Izzy’s treating herself to a weekend away at a gorgeous boutique hotel – it’s the least she deserves after having put up with her cheating ex! So when she has a one night stand with a gorgeous stranger, will it be a holiday fling only?)
- Did Someone Order Room Service? (Tennis Pro Matt has a bit of a reputation for being a playboy, and he’s more than met his match in sensible hotel employee Layla…)
- Kiss Me on This Cold December Night (The last person Ella expects to see when she checks into her hotel for the weekend, is Tom Henley, the guy whose room she slipped out of after the most incredible night five years ago. But Tom’s delighted to see her, and doesn’t want to let her slip away again!)
- Access All Areas (When Head of Security, Joe, catches photographer Anna trying to take some photos of celebrity guests, he has to step in. But will he want to let her go?)
- Meet Me at the Honeymoon Suite (Amy can’t believe that her first wedding as wedding planner at The Lavington has her ex-boyfriend as the groom! And then she goes and sleeps with best man Owen, but Owen seems to be the perfect distraction…)
Charlotte’s writing career so far has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, during which she’s made masses of head-crashing-on-desk mistakes and also learned tons, and she’s documented the whole journey in her blog (should anyone be crazy enough to want to read it).
Her writing is fuelled by lots of coffee and years of daydreaming during her past life in a string of office jobs. She lives in Wiltshire, England, where she squashes her writing in between looking after two teenagers, a six year old, a dachshund with an attitude (see below), and an amazing husband who doesn’t notice that the housework is never done. She also has a bit of an addiction to American TV shows and social media and really it’s a miracle she gets anything done at all.