In 2013 Mills & Boon relaunched their RIVA line with Modern Tempted (called Harlequin KISS in the States), an imprint that held echoes of the Temptation novels of the 80s and 90s, and the sexiness of the Modern Heat series from the 00s.
Whether as RIVA or as Modern Tempted, I adored the books and was incredibly upset when the line stopped publishing two years ago.
So this month I’m taking a look back at the authors of Modern Tempted, at the books they wrote then, and what they’re up to now…
Holiday with a Stranger has a heroine that I can fully identify with:
‘Who are you?’
After three months travelling all Connor Preston wants to do is sink into his own bed. The last thing he expects is to find a stark-naked woman already there…
Josie Marchpane wasn’t anticipating company either. Connor might be six foot four inches of pure muscle, and boast a disturbingly sexy smile, but a fortnight in the South of France is the one thing standing between Josie and her sanity – and she’s not about to give it up without a fight!
Josie plays to win. The problem…? Connor does too. And, with only one bed between them, things are about to get interesting…
Josie has depression. It’s not what you’d necessarily expect of a romance heroine, but McKellen addresses it so well, that it enhances the narrative. It helps that she isn’t flippant about it either. Essentially, she’s on the edge of having a nervous breakdown due to pressure from work, and her best friend sends her to South of France to recuperate.
Cue sexy Connor Preston. He can’t quite believe that his grandmother’s cottage has been lent out by his sister, especially when he was looking forward to just relaxing and sleeping in his own bed! And his housemate is the complete opposite to his chilled, free-spirited self…
McKellens’s other Modern Tempted books include:
- Lessons in Rule-Breaking (All journalists know to never sleep with their subject, but when Jess breaks that rule during what glorious knight with artist Xander, will she start breaking other rules too?)
- Fired by her Fling (The last thing radio DJ Lula expects is to be fired by the guy she had a one night stand with the night before, but Tristan is taking over the company and it’s nothing but business from here on in!)
- Bridesmaid with Attitude (When Theo refuses to let a wedding happen on his estate, he finds himself on the end of head bridesmaid Emily’s fury. But will she agree to his trade?)
So what’s Christy been up to since the end of Modern Tempted?
She’s been writing books for Mills & Boon’s Cherish line:
- Unlocking the Boss’s Heart (Since he lost his wife, Max doesn’t seem to have any love left to give, but when warm and bubbly Cara starts working for him, soon his heart begins to thaw…)
- One Week with the French Tycoon (Indigo always looks after everyone else, but when she’s dumped she decides to look after herself for a change and heads to the Amalfi coast for a holiday of her own! Little does she expect to be thrown together with Julien, whose divorce has made him give up on love!)
- A Countess for Christmas (The new Earl of Redminster never quite forgot his first love, so when Jack sees Emma waitressing at a party, he takes things into his own hands and announces to the world that they’re married!)
- The Unforgettable Spanish Tycoon (Available for pre-order; out in February 2017. When Caleb loses his memory, Elena takes the opportunity to try and make things right between them…)
She’s also written a stand alone called Hearts on Ice:
The last thing that either Nate or Hettie were looking for, is love. But when they get snowed in together, secrets, heartbreak and emotions rise to the surface…
Formerly a Video and Radio Producer, Christy now spends her time writing fun, impassioned and emotive romance with an undercurrent of sexual tension.
When she’s not writing, she can be found enjoying life with her husband and three children, walking for pleasure and researching other people’s deepest secrets and desires.