In 2013 Mills & Boon relaunched their RIVA line with Modern Tempted (called Harlequin KISS in the States), an imprint that held echoes of the Temptation novels of the 80s and 90s, and the sexiness of the Modern Heat series from the 00s.
Whether as RIVA or as Modern Tempted, I adored the books and was incredibly upset when the line stopped publishing two years ago.
So this month I’m taking a look back at the authors of Modern Tempted, at the books they wrote then, and what they’re up to now…
Mira Lyn Kelly
I absolutely adore Mira Lyn Kelly’s Waking Up duet, especially Waking Up Married:
Megan Scott has cast aside all thoughts of a happy-ever-after – there’s only so much heartache a girl can take. But when a cocktail-fuelled hen-do goes wrong and she’s upgraded from bridesmaid to bride, her plans are forgotten…
… along with the memory of the night before! Business tycoon Conner Reed is surprised by Megan’s morning-after reaction. Last night, they’d both been on the same page – a marriage built on mutual needs and attraction, but definitely no L word.
Megan can’t remember their first kiss, but Conner will try every trick in the book to remind her of their scorching chemistry.
And first on the list? Their wedding night!
There’s something really quite special about Kelly’s ability to take a trope that’s seemingly been done to death, and to inject it with new life.
Megan and Conner have scorching chemistry, but they don’t really have anything pulling them together – or at least, that’s what Megan thinks. Conner’s more than a little determined though, and decides to try and persuade her to give them a second chance…
It’s a clever romance, with a sweet and sexy centre!
Kelly’s other Modern Tempted books include:
- The S Before Ex (Ryan’s the most papped celebrity in recent history, but he’s got one secret that the tabloids don’t know…he’s married! Claire’s determined to get their separation finalised, once and for all, but will she be able to resist her ex’s charm?)
- Never Stay Past Midnight (Levi’s the kind of guy who always loves them and leaves them, so he can’t believe it when the best sex of his life ends with Elise leaving him in bed… Will he be able to find her again?)
- Waking Up Pregnant (Darcy’s not the kind of girl who usually has one-night stands, and so she slips out of Jeff’s room as soon as he’s in the shower to avoid the awkwardness! But the thing is, Jeff needed to tell her about their “epic latex fail”, and without her number, he’s got no way to tell her…)
So what’s Mira Lyn been up to since the end of Modern Tempted?
She’s written the Dare to Love trilogy:
- Truth or Dare (When Maggie ends up getting roped into a year-long dating dare, and her date stands her up, she has only one option: Tyler, the gorgeous guy who’s just moved in upstairs. The only problem? They can’t stop fighting…)
- Tough & Go (Ava’s been in love with her best friend Sam for as long as she can remember, but he’s off limits. That is, until he pretends to be her boyfriend one night, to save her from some unwanted attention. Sam can’t let that one night be it, so he proposes a few weeks of steamy fun!)
- Now and Then (Brynn is the one who got away, so Ford cannot believe his luck when he sees her in a bar! Only Brynn’s got no interest in dating right now, not with her father so recently out of jail…)
She’s also just started a new series, called The Best Men. The first book, May the Best Man Win, is out now:
Jase can’t believe his luck. He’s been paired with Emily Kline for his best friend’s wedding; she may well be drop dead gorgeous, but she’s also the devil incarnate! They’ll just have to play nice for now, and try to ignore their chemistry at least…
USA Today bestselling author Mira Lyn Kelly grew up in the Chicago area and earned her degree in Fine Arts from Loyola University. She met the love of her life while studying abroad in Rome, Italy, only to discover he’d been living right around the corner from her back home.
Having spent her twenties working and playing in the Windy City, she’s now settled with her husband in rural Minnesota, where their four beautiful children provide an excess of action and entertainment. When she isn’t reading, writing, or running to keep up with the kids, she loves watching movies, blabbing with the girls, and cooking with her husband and friends.