In 2013 Mills & Boon relaunched their RIVA line with Modern Tempted (called Harlequin KISS in the States), an imprint that held echoes of the Temptation novels of the 80s and 90s, and the sexiness of the Modern Heat series from the 00s.
Whether as RIVA or as Modern Tempted, I adored the books and was incredibly upset when the line stopped publishing two years ago.
So this month I’m taking a look back at the authors of Modern Tempted, at the books they wrote then, and what they’re up to now…
Who doesn’t love a party? And Jackie Braun’s After the Party has the best kind:
You’re cordially invited to…
In her socialite days, Ella Sanborn was the life and soul of every party! Now she’s on the other side of the invitation, determined to become New York’s premiere events planner if it kills her! Which working with straight-laced new client Chase Trumbull could well do….
Chase has been too busy saving his family’s business to enjoy much recently. He might have agreed to throw a themed party, but that doesn’t mean he’s off duty just yet! Until he meets Ella. Something about her tempts him to loosen his tie, take off his suit jacket and finally have some fun…
After the Party balances fun, sensuality and heartbreak with a sensitivity that is to be commended. At the heart of the romance between Chase and party planner Ella, is the person for whom she’s planning the party: Chase’s grandfather, who is suffering from dementia.
It’s difficult to get that balance right in a romance. The romance narrative has to be at the heart of the book, but you don’t want the references to dementia to be flippant, and Braun does this by showing us the effects on the family and friends, as well as the person with dementia.
And side by side with this, you have the story of Ella, who is breaking out of the box she’s been in, creating a career for herself and standing up. She’s a delightful character who doesn’t hesitate to put Chase in his place when needed. That kind of sass is always welcome!
Blake’s other Modern Tempted books include:
- Falling for Her Rival (Take one television cooking competition, two fierce chefs, and a delightful mix of food and chemistry, and you’ll find that the food isn’t the only thing that’s sizzling!)
- Greek for Beginners (Darcie couldn’t be more of a tourist, and her holiday comes complete with a run in with a local con man. Thank goodness for local Adonis Nick Costa, who’s more than happy to sweep her off her feet…)
- Must Like Kids (When Alec, new CEO of Best for Baby, finds himself branded a baby-hater in the press, it’s time to call for help. But will widowed mum of two Julia, work her magic on just his image, or will his heart fall as well?)
- If the Ring Fits… (Rachel hasn’t time to think about relationships; her jewellary business is just taking off and besides, she’s been burnt before… Bu will she be able to resist sexy Italian playboy Antonio?)
- The Fiancee Fiasco (Thomas’ grandmother pulled out the big cards and all of a sudden, he’s found himself with a fake fiancee – now he just has to find her! Elizabeth is trying to save her charity, but if they can persuade Thomas’ grandmother that they’re in love, will they soon fool themselves…?)
- Confessions of a Girl-Next-Door (Nate has it all: an exclusive island, a string of ever-willing women, and yet something still seems to be missing. Cue the return of his childhood friend Holly… Only Holly’s kept a secret all those years ago: she’s a princess!)
- Mr Right There All Along (High school reunions dredge up all kinds of feelings, but for Simon there’s only really one goal: to show Chloe that he can offer her more than just friendship…)
So what’s Jackie been up to since the end of Modern Tempted?
There’s her sweet romance with Mills & Boon Cherish, The Heir’s Unexpected Return:
Kellen’s accident has ruined his life, but when he returns to his family’s island resort to try and recover, he meets sassy, honest Brigit, who can’t quite believe that the prodigal son is here to stay…
There’s the saucy Revenge Best Served Hot:
Brody and Kate might just discover that that there’s a very thin line between a passion for revenge and just straight up passion…
And fantastic paranormal romance, Mine Tomorrow:
When Devin Abernathy starts dreaming of handsome World War II naval officer Gregory, it all seems very romantic, but when donning a vintage coat literally sends her back in time, and into his arms, will she choose the past over the future?
After graduating from Central Michigan University with a degree in journalism, Jackie Braun worked at newspapers for nearly 17 years, 11 of those years as an award-winning editorial writer for The Flint Journal in Michigan, where she was also the first female editorial writer in the newspaper’s history.
She sold her first book to Silhouette Romance in late 1999 and started writing under the Harlequin Romance banner with the release of her third book in 2004.
Jackie quit her full-time job in January 2004 to freelance and write fiction full time. She lives in mid-Michigan with her husband Mark and their sons Daniel and Will.