In 2013 Mills & Boon relaunched their RIVA line with Modern Tempted (called Harlequin KISS in the States), an imprint that held echoes of the Temptation novels of the 80s and 90s, and the sexiness of the Modern Heat series from the 00s.
Whether as RIVA or as Modern Tempted, I adored the books and was incredibly upset when the line stopped publishing two years ago.
So this month I’m taking a look back at the authors of Modern Tempted, at the books they wrote then, and what they’re up to now…
The very first Natalie Anderson book I read was actually the first of the rebranded Modern Tempted books I ever read: The Right Mr Wrong.
‘Will you marry me?’
Isn’t that the question every girl dreams of hearing? Victoria certainly used to think so. And safe, steady Oliver seemed perfect husband material. But that was until she met Liam, his rebellious, scorchingly hot best friend. Suddenly Victoria’s feeling things—crazy lust-fuelled things!—she’s never felt before. But for the wrong guy…
Then Oliver goes down on one knee and it’s decision time—head or hormones?
But, whether she says yes or no, Victoria’s about to discover the truth about guys like Liam — once you go bad you never go back!
It’s a clever concept which I likened at the time to Sliding Doors: the book’s split in two and looks at what happens when she says yes to Oliver, and when she says no. It’s funny and witty, and something that I’ve never seen done either before or since in a category romance.
I also love the fact that it makes you think about fate. In both books Victoria gets her Happy Ever After, but just takes a different route to get there…so perhaps we are all destined to end up in the same place, no matter which road we take…?
Anderson’s other Modern Tempted books include:
- Whose Bed Is It Anyway? (James returns home to find ex-celebrity Caitlin curled up in his bed…)
- Waking Up In the Wrong Bed (When Ellie decides to seduce her colleague, she ends up in the wrong hotel room, seducing total stranger Ruben!)
- First Time Lucky? (Roxie wants Doctor Gabe from next door to help her lose her “v” plates…)
- Dating and Other Dangers (Ethan’s determined to get revenge after he’s named and shamed on Nadia’s WomanBWarned website!)
- The End of Faking It (Penny’s been faking it all her life…or at least until Carter steps in…)
- Walk on the Wild Side (Snowboarder Jack has one crazy fling with Kelsi, only to have his world turned upside down when she gets pregnant!)
- Nice Girls Finish Last (Lena is surrounded by hot rugby players all day for her PR role, but it’s not until she meets Seth that she realises that she’s not so immune to male charms after all…)
So what’s Natalie been up to since the end of Modern Tempted?
Firstly there’s the Be for Me Series…
There are four books, and one novella in the series so far, with a fifth book in the pipeline, the first three are available as an ebook boxset! Reading order is:
- Breathe for Me (After being rescued by sexy lifeguard Xander, Chelsea can’t help but discover her own desires…)
- Beg for Me (When Min accidentally tweets that her boss Logan is engaged, she has to stand in for this non-existent fiancee!)
- Bared for Me (Danielle’s been crushing on Rocco for as long as she can remember, but it’s not until they’re alone in a hotel room together that she decides to show him that she could be more than just his best friend’s sister…)
- Bound for Me (When Savannah’s hot one night fling turns out to be Connor, the man who she came to town to exact revenge from, she’s torn between lust and hate!)
- Blaze for Me (Novella. When Austin catches Nicoletta in a moment of voyeurism, it’s the perfect opportunity for payback…)
- Broken for Me (Upcoming)
But Anderson hasn’t turned her back on Mills & Boon completely! There’s The Throne of San Felipe mini-series, that she’s written for Modern:
- The Secret That Shocked De Santis (Lieutenant Stella is stunned when a medical check reveals that she’s pregnant, and she knows just who the father is! Prince Eduardo…)
- The Mistress That Tamed De Santis (Crown Prince Antonio has avoided women since the tragedy that took his fiancee, but when faced with Bella, he just can’t help himself!)
USA TODAY bestselling author Natalie Anderson writes sensual, emotional contemporary romance. She’s published with Harlequin Mills & Boon, Entangled Publishing and independently. She’s also written young adult fiction for Penguin NZ under a pseudonym. With over thirty books published, she’s been a Romantic Times Award nominee & a finalist for the R*BY (Romantic Book of the Year).
She lives in Christchurch, New Zealand with her husband and four children.